Monday, November 24, 2008

Technology At What Cost?




It's true. I have a hard time living without my cell phone. It's what connects me to the "world" or rather my "world". I am also in the market for a lightweight laptop with a super capacity. Technology is the mainstay for many of us but at what cost?




Many of the armed groups fighting in Congo financed their stay largely by stealing the nations's minerals. Among the many sought after minerals is coltan. Coltan is a major player in the manufacturing of cell phones and laptops. "Western" companies had a vested interest in this resource because of the capital gains it could bring.




The fighting in the Congo continues. The rape and pillaging of villages continues. Technology continues but at what cost?

1 comment:

femjusticeinthehague said...

This is certainly a disturbing thing to consider. We as consumers rarely consider the costs of the products that we purchase on a daily basis...and how often are we able to find safe, affordable, conflict-free alternatives?

Thank you for bringing this to light. It is something I plan on looking into further.